Sunday, July 23, 2006

Weekend's end.....

We managed to sleep in today! WOW!!! Yet, we didn't sleep in too late to miss going to Mass. We decided to attend mass at Emmanuel Roman Catholic Church, which is located in Downtown Dayton. Before today, I have never been there, and had always heard about how beautiful it is. I wasn't disappointed. It is a gorgeous church! It's very tradtional and not at all modern. I personally find many modern churches to be rather harsh and cold.

Emmanuel was built in the mid 1800's and survived Dayton's great flood of 1913. The stained glass windows are breathtaking. To be honest, I was so distracted by all the amazing windows and other beautiful things that I had a hard time concentrating. LOL!

After church, we went to breakfast at a neat little eatery, also located Downtown. We had hoped to pick up some spices from a man that has a stall in a street market, but the entire market is closed on Sundays. So, we moved on to plan b! We were soon on the interstate heading south out of town. Our destination: Turtle Creek Flea Market.

It was a great day to go to a flea market. The heatwave of the past 2 weeks finally broke Friday night, and temperatures were only in the mid 70's. Plus, there was no humidity to speak of. It was so nice not to have a "schedule" to adhere to. We were able to meander around the flea market at a leisurely pace. We purchased 3 bags of our brand of dog food for an amazing price, which was the entire reason for going to the flea market to begin with!

We had been at the flea market for a couple of hours when my cell phone rang. Reality had intruded on our day. The call was from my sister. She was checking to see if I was going to be visiting our Mother today. I assured her I was, and she asked me to pick up some things that my Mother needed. I told Russell that our next stop needed to be Wal-Mart!

Somehow, I thought that we would be able to avoid a trip to Wal-Mart this weekend... but I dont' think that is even possible. I don't think a weekend's gone by in the last 10 years where I haven't made at least one trip to Wal-Mart! Once we arrived at our local Wal-Mart, we decided to grab a sandwich at the "Subway" located inside the store. We felt so sorry for the girl working there. She was all by herself, and some customers had made huge messes at their table and at the beverage station. I will never understand why people behave this way. They simply have no respect!

After eating our late lunches, we picked up the things my Mother needed. Russell got paged about a problem with one of the systems at work, and he thought he might have to go in. Happily, the problem was resolved without him having to go in. I helped him walk and feed the dogs when we got home, then left to visit my Mom.

She was tired and not very talkative. I stayed for about 2 hours and headed home. It's been a quiet but nice evening. The air is cool outside... the crickets are filling the night air with their song.... I feel tired, but in a good way. I'm ready to take on the week... and will be "back in the saddle" tomorrow morning.

In the meantime, good night, and sleep tight!!!

No comments: