Monday, February 14, 2011

Quote of the day....

Later today, I will be meeting with a woman's faith group here at work. We're going to be discussing books today and are supposed to bring a copy of our most favorite book. My favorite book is "The Shack" by Wm. Paul Young. Of course, I left my copy at home. It's a Monday, and I forgot! LOL! So I was online looking at quotes from the book, so that I could at least have something to participate with. That's when I found this quote:
"Oh child," spoke Papa tenderly. "Don't ever discount the wonder of your tears. They can be healing waters and a stream of joy. Sometimes they are the best words the heart can speak."
Reading this gave me a big jolt. On Sunday, during mass, I listened to the readings and to the Gospel... and the Homily. I didn't zone out, I was fully engaged.... and as I heard the words, they went directly to my heart, and I knew that they were what I needed to hear at that very moment. Because I was upset and angry... with some loved ones who I was judging... not my job, I know. I had been so angry... I knew I was wrong to be so... and then, as I heard the Gospel, and the Homily... my tears began to fall. I couldn't seem to stop them, and I didn't really want to. I prayed silently that I was so so sorry.. my heart was filled with sorrow and remorse. And as I heard the words, about the power of forgiveness... my strong sense of guilt and remorse seemed to fade. It was a moment of true Grace. I was sorry, and God knew that I was sorry. And so I well understand and believe these words:
"Oh child," spoke Papa tenderly. "Don't ever discount the wonder of your tears. They can be healing waters and a stream of joy. Sometimes they are the best words the heart can speak."

Peace replaced my sorrow. And I felt a sense of joy... because my heart had spoken, and God heard me.... and connecting like that is so incredible and amazing.

The Shack is an incredible book. I can't believe that I have never blogged about it before. Of all the books I've read in my entire life time, this book has affected me in the most profound way. Initially I was reluctant to read it. It took me way outside the box.... and I just thought it sounded too weird. So I put it back on the shelf. Somehow, I kept being drawn to it. I didn't want to read it... I didn't want to read of the heart breaking tragedy.... because remember, I "don't do sad".



One day I was in the bookstore, and was compelled to pick it up. And I looked at it for several days, before I finally started to read it. And I would never be the same again. The story has profound beauty, and and is the story of the blessed trinity.. of the good news... and of hope. It taught my heart about the Blessed Trinity. It made me "get it" and understand how very much God loves all His children. It's the ultimate love story!

1 comment:

noreen said...

Hi Annie, I found your blog from Julie at Happy Catholic and I wanted to say hello. I did read The Shack and loved it too. It's been awhile and I may have to check it out from the library again. Thanks for the reminder.
www.rosarymom.blogspot.com