Saturday, October 11, 2008

Connecting with my Dad...


There are times, when something very unexpected will happen, and I am suddenly connected with my Dad in an incredbly intimate way. My Father passed away 25 years ago on October 3, 1983. It's staggering to think that he's been gone so long! He was, incredibly vibrant, and passionate about both his likes and dislikes! Birding... or birdwatching as he called it, was one of his dearest passions... and one that I came to appreciate many years after he had been gone. I like to think, that he still shares this with me.. and I am using his beloved binoculars to this day. It's as though, our eyes are looking together, at the wonders that Mother Nature allows us to see.


And so, last night, as we were driving to our favorite Thai restaurant, I was gazing out the window, chatting with Russell, listening to the radio. The evening was pretty... not too warm, not too cool. The sun was beginning to setting in the west. Leaves are changing to the bold bright colors that autumn brings, and it was so easy to enjoy the view. As we crossed a bridge over a small lake, I looked along the shore for herons.. and then I saw it! I saw the unmistakeable silhouette of a belted Kingfisher. I didn't have my camera, and even if I had, I wouldn't been able to capture the shot! It was perched on a branch over the water, silhouetted perfectly against the setting sun. I could make out it's crown and distinctive bill. It's been so long since I've seen one so clearly. I told Russell but he was driving and didn't get a chance to see it. But I did... and I know that my Dad did. It was a tiny moment... one so brief.. and so very special. I was... during that moment, connected with my Dad, once again. Thank you, God... for this gift.


Click here for: photo source


No comments: