Saturday, January 21, 2006

The death of a whale...

…is so desperately sad. Of course, I’m referring to the bottle-nosed whale that found it’s way up the Thames river in London yesterday. All reports showed that the whale was in distress and probably quite ill. Upon hearing the story for the first time, I found my self feeling great concern for the poor creature.

Further reports told of rescue workers’ attempts at rescuing the poor creature. Reports also told of concern for the whale from all corners of the globe. I went to sleep hoping that somehow, some way, the creature would find its way back to the open sea’s of the North Atlantic.

Sadly, this was not to be. The whale died on a barge as it was being ferried towards the Thames estuary. As this story has touched the hearts of people from all over the world, I’m certain that sadness is felt by all who were concerned by this whale’s plight.

Yet, while thinking about my own sadness, I felt a sense of awe… and hope. For if people from all around the world, can embrace the plight of a whale, then perhaps things are not so hopeless around this great planet. So feelings of sadness, awe and now hope have filled my heart today. All because of a whale, who got lost on the Thames, but found its way into the hearts of people all over the world.

No comments: