Monday, December 05, 2011

2nd Week of Advent

Happy 2nd Week of Advent. The Gospel from this week:

Gospel Mk 1:1-8

The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ the Son of God.

As it is written in Isaiah the prophet:
Behold, I am sending my messenger ahead of you;
he will prepare your way.
A voice of one crying out in the desert:
"Prepare the way of the Lord,
make straight his paths."
John the Baptist appeared in the desert
proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.
People of the whole Judean countryside
and all the inhabitants of Jerusalem
were going out to him
and were being baptized by him in the Jordan River
as they acknowledged their sins.
John was clothed in camel's hair,
with a leather belt around his waist.
He fed on locusts and wild honey.
And this is what he proclaimed:
"One mightier than I is coming after me.
I am not worthy to stoop and loosen the thongs of his sandals.
I have baptized you with water;
he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit." Amen

Pope Benedict as asked: “As we prepare for Christmas, it is important that we find time for self-contemplation and carry out an honest assessment of our lives."

I know in my heart of hearts that this is always a good thing to do... it's cleansing, it's uplifting and it's healthy. So with all these wonderful benefits, why does it make me uncomfortable? Just the fact that it does tells me that I need to get busy!


No comments: