Saturday, November 07, 2009

What About Thanksgiving?!?!?!?


The First Thanksgiving at Plymouth by Brownscombe


For those of us living in the states, the Holiday season seems to begin with Halloween, which, as most know, falls at the end of October. Halloween has always been one of my favorite times of year, and it seems that it is popular with many others as well. In fact, Halloween has become big business.

The next holiday is Veterans Day, and there is a healthy focus on that, and rightly so. Following Veterans day is "Thanksgiving" which is perhaps my most favorite holiday. And then, on the day after Thanksgiving, we celebrate the beginning of the "Christmas Holidays" with "Black Friday, the unofficial beginning of the "commercial" Christmas Holidays.

Last week, Halloween decorations were every where. This week, people have taken them down and are slowly replacing them with Christmas decorations. I was driving through downtown Fairborn, Ohio this morning, and wreaths are adorning the lampposts on Main Street and the City Christmas tree was being placed in it's traditional place. And it's only the 7th of November! On Facebook, many of the Halloween related "apps" have been replaced by Christmas related "apps". One even went as far to say: "first there's Halloween, then there's Christmas"! Flabbergasted and annoyed, I kept thinking: WHAT ABOUT THANKSGIVING?????

Thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday! It's the time of year when we gather together to give Thanks for our blessings. There is historical significance to this Holiday. In the United States, the First Thanksgiving was celebrated in the Autumn of 1621 by the surviving pilgrims who were celebrating their successful harvest. Thanksgiving was considered a religious holiday, where people gathered to worship and give thanks to God for their blessings. Over time there is less emphasis on the religious aspect of the Holiday. Yet it is still a time where families gather together around a table and share a meal. The focus is on the meal, and on the fellowship with family. Some families have small gatherings and others have large gatherings.

Personally, we have two Thanksgivings. I love this day. I love being with Family, and sharing a meal. I love gathering around the table and telling stories and sharing news. I love being with people who are dear to me. And I love the fact that there is know emphasis on gifts. Our Gatherings are about being together with loved ones. And that is precious. And since becoming Catholic, I love going to church for Thanksgiving.. be cause "it is right to give Thanks and Praise"!!!!

This brings me to the point of this blog. During this month of November, my focus is going to be on Thanksgiving, and giving thanks for things that matter to me.

Today, I would like to give thanks to God for my loved ones. I'd like to give Thanks for the glorious day I've had.. for the wonderful visit with my Uncle, who came to visit all the way from Arizona. I'd like to give Thanks for the wonderful visit with my Mother. I'd like to give Thanks for the awesome tour we had of the Wright Brother's Home. What a treat that ways... I lived in the same neighborhood as this house when I was growing up, and I've always wanted to see it.

In closing... I'd like to encourage anyone reading this to stop and think about the blessings in their lives... and to stop and take time to "Give Thanks" for them.

God Bless....

No comments: