Friday, April 02, 2010

Good Friday

Today is Good Friday. When I was a child, I had a vague understand of what Good Friday was all about. We were always on Spring Vacation during Good Friday. I vaguely was aware that this was the day that Jesus died on the cross. However my main focus was that our Spring break would soon be over.. and that Easter was right around the corner. This mean Easter Baskets filled with candy and toys, and dinner with family... which was always a wonderful time. I had no clue really... of what Good Friday really meant. Little did I know how I would come to cherish this day... not for the Easter Baskets and family celebrations... but for the true meaning of this amazing day. Click here to be taken to a a webpage that describes in detail the Good Friday Celebration.

I will never forget my first "Good Friday" celebration. I knew that it would not be a Mass, yet I had no idea of what to expect. I recall sitting in awe, taking everything in. It was one of the most moving church celebrations that I have ever been to. As I listened to the Passion, I thought of the sorrow and anguish Jesus went through, FOR EACH ONE OF US; he suffered for us. He carried our burdens as he carried the cross. He endured the torture, the humiliation... the ridicule and hatred. He defied the devil once again. All for us... all for us so that our sins could be forgiven. And then there was Mary... the Blessed Mother. She stood by her son and witnessed all of this. I cannot even begin to comprehend her pain and sorrow.

When it came time for The Veneration of the Cross, I remember being vaguely aware of tears streaming down my cheeks. As I knelt before the cross and kissed it, I thought... how have I missed out on this before? And despite the fact that the Chapel was full, it was incredibly intimate. The solemn silence... speaks volumes... and reaches me deep inside the core of my being.

And now, grasping the true meaning of this day, I feel very blessed. It saddens me that so many spend the day not really knowing... or understanding.... the amazing gifts that this day brings. I can only hope and pray that they too will someday realize the true meaning of this day, and cherish it as much as I do.

Good Friday Prayer

O Jesus, Who by reason of Thy burning love for us
hast willed to be crucified
and to shed Thy Most Precious Blood
for the redemption and salvation of our souls,
look down upon us here gathered together
in remembrance of Thy most sorrowful Passion and Death,
fully trusting in Thy mercy;
cleanse us from sin by Thy grace,
sanctify our toil,
give unto us and unto all those who are dear to us our
daily bread,
sweeten our sufferings,
bless our families,
and to the nations so sorely afflicted,
grant Thy peace,
which is the only true peace,
so that by obeying Thy commandments
we may come at last to the glory of heaven.

Amen.

No comments: